Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Today...a better day!

I don't know if it is because my dear husband will be returning home tomorrow night from his trip (offering a bright light at the end of a long, dark tunnel of the last few weeks) or if it was buying some new shoes for fall. I know that sounds silly, but I did feel better after a little shopping therapy. Nothing fancy. Very practical. But none the less, new and MINE!

I do have to add here that I did a quick in and out of several other stores just to see if there was anything else I NEEDED. There wasn't. I didn't feel deprived because I didn't need anything else. Has anyone else been shopping lately? I hadn't. There isn't much out there! What is out there was not a good deal. I'm a deal shopper! I can tell you if there is a good deal and let me tell you, there weren't any out there. And honestly, nothing so cute that I even really wished it was a good deal.

Today was a very sweet day with my little Adrianne. My four year old princess went to get her hair cut (trimmed) today. Our hair stylist is so nice! She treats the kids the same way she treats adults--and doesn't charge the same! She just says that she figures they deserve a good haircut just like anyone else! (She also doesn't mind when I have to bring my kids with me to get my hair cut! It isn't my favorite thing to do with my kids, but at least she doesn't mind and I still get my hair cut and that is a good thing!)

After the haircut we had about an hour and a half before pre-school. We ran to Target and then enjoyed lunch together at Chik-fil-a. (Thanks to my best friend from residency, I am addicted to that place and anytime I see one I try to find a reason I have to go there!) While we were there (Yes, we ate INSIDE! This is very rare for me at any fast food place...hence the name FAST food. We are usually in too much of a hurry!) I witnessed two moms with a total of 5 kids between them and none of the kids could have been more than 4. It reminded me of "good times" in the food court at the Coral Ridge mall in Iowa during residency. Many, many times we would meet up with other resident's wives and their kids to go to the Children's Museum in the mall and then out to the food court for lunch. One of these sweet moms in her very cute southern voice kept warning the (I'm guessing two year old) little boy "If you throw one more piece of chicken on the floor, I'm goinna spank you!" Adrianne looked at me and said "I'm glad I'm not misbehaving like that!" She said it with such expressive eyes and then a sweet knowing little grin and nod, acknowledging that she was a little older and wiser than that poor child!

She was a gem this morning. Sometimes she can make me crazy, but today I really appreciated my time with her. She seemed so big to me! She was so sweet.

For any of you who are reading this and are (or are thinking about becoming) a doctor's spouse, I have to tell you that my husband read my blog from the other day. He is convinced that I could single-handedly convince anyone anywhere that they should run like the wind and never marry a doctor! Well, this isn't true. For those of you who love these incredibly special people, I would NEVER do this! Although it can be very, VERY tough at times to ride in the sidecar in this profession, I do have a great deal of respect for what he does! I know he is so good at what he does whether he is with a patient, doing research or presenting research at an international meeting. I think it will always be a struggle to balance all he does and all I do but at the core of it all we have a strong relationship and love for each other! That has to be the most important thing at all times! That is what will get you through! We've been together for 19 years and married for 16 of those. Trust me, it's been a roller coaster ride but it IS worth it!

Right now I'm guessing BJ is heading to the airport for a long day of travel home. We are all looking forward to having him back! Best of all, I have a babysitter lined up for Saturday night! Yipee!! Where should we go?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you are happy! Amazing how much new shoes can help a grumpy mood. (not to mention a husband on an airplane headed home!)

    Those days spent at the Food Court and the children's museum (and, ahem, The Disney Store) were priceless and so therapeutic.

    Please don't go to Chik-Fil-A on your date night.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete