Thursday, September 3, 2009

Starting Something New

I decided today to start a new blog. I've tried to do a blog before. It was more of a way to share photos with family and friends. Even though I may still do that some through this blog, I'm looking for a way to share my experiences with others who may be going through the same sort of identity searches I have over the last 20 years. Wow. I hate to say how old that makes me feel. I know I'm not really, but 20 years since high school sounds like a long time.

I sometimes try to take myself back to high school graduation and think about what I wanted from my life. Where did I think I would be 20 years later? Am I doing what I thought I would be doing? Hmmm...NO. Is that a bad thing? NO. Is there any way I could have truly prepared myself for my life I lead today. NO. There were too many unknowns.

If you had asked me way back then, I am sure I would have told you exactly what my life was going to be. I had PLANS! I even argued with my high school counselor about the fact that I didn't need to take typing for the whole year because my secretary would do the typing, not me! I lost that arguement and I have to admit now that I am glad I know how to type. Who knew that it would be one of our main means of communication?!?

Sharing that little bit of what my drive and attitude about my future was like may help you to understand how some days I stop and look at my life and say: "How did I get here?" "Is this what my life was meant to be?" "Did I plan this or did it just happen to me?" "Am I happy with where my life has lead me?" "Where do I want my life to take me?"

These are the questions I am hoping to address through this blog. I hope that it will help me to gain perspective and appreciation for my life. I hope if anyone else decides to read it...that it might help you too. I'm pretty sure that I am not the only 30 something Stay At Home Mom who has ever asked herself these questions. (At least I tell myself that I am normal and many people probably feel this way!)

So, in future posts I will be:

Looking Back. What were my plans and goals for my life? What has happened on this long and winding road so far? How has that formed me and the person I am today?

Looking Forward. Where do I want this life to take me? What do I want for my family? How am I going to make that happen?

Enjoying Today. I feel like sometimes I get so bogged down in the daily tasks I have to do that I don't take time to enjoy today. Seriously. Laundry, dirty dishes and being a taxi driver every day aren't all that exciting for me. (I sense that some people find it to be gratifying...maybe it is all a front!) Anyway, it is not what I had in mind when I day dreamed about my future when I was 18 years old. We were raised being told: "Do whatever you want!" "Be whatever you want to be!" "Dream Big!" But, when push comes to shove, somebody in the family still has to make sure that everyone has clean clothes to wear, clean dishes to eat off of and those cute little people without drivers licenses (who we have been blessed to share our lives with) still have to get to where they need to go. So, I look around. There is my extremely busy doctor husband (who as I am writing this is flying to the other side of the world to do an eye exam on a VIP--now THAT is what I call a house call!) Three cute little people. And me. Okay. It may not be what I had envisioned for my life but here I am and I know my work is important. (Even when it seems monotonous and when it feels like nobody appreciates what I do, it needs to be done.) So one of my goals through this blog is to look past the monotony of everyday tasks and start to appreciate the beauty of my family. I am blessed. I love my three cute little people and my very busy doctor husband (and my furry little dog). I hope to share our happy moments. Work through our difficult ones. Laugh at anything that deserves a good laugh. And Enjoy Today! So, at this very moment I am going to make my cute little 4 year old person happy and go play doll house!

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE it! I think this will be so therapeutic for you, and of course, I love getting to peek into your beautiful heart. (and I love the sea shells, too!...you should do an entry on Gifts from the Sea).

    Keep exploring, keep dreaming, keep adjusting. Life is an amazing adventure, and God sees in you what you are not yet.

    Love you!
    J

    ReplyDelete